Need a breathe of fresh air in your life? Consider downsizing both your space and your stuff. With less space and fewer possessions to worry about, you can spend less of your time and money caring for, cleaning, organizing, and maintaining things and focus on other priorities.
10 Reasons To Downsize
Here are 10 reasons why this is true.
1. As you hit your Boomer and senior years, you need less space. A large home with multiple levels and a big yard represent your past, while a smaller house, condo, or apartment is the present.
2. Even if you want space, you may enjoy selective downsizing. For example, you may want a large master bedroom, but fewer secondary bedrooms or an open concept kitchen-living area, but not a big dining room. A new place can meet your needs and preferences now.
3. A smaller home or condo may cost less, though this is not always true in terms of the purchase price. If the space is right for you, even paying an equivalent or higher price may be worth it.
4. If you have less space, your utilities cost should be less. If you opt for newer construction, you may save even more on heating and cooling in a more energy-efficient space.
5. Moving to a smaller home usually means ridding yourself of some furniture. Since some pieces won’t fit the space, you may abandon it all and splurge on new pieces that are perfect for the space. When you find your new place, measure the new space (including the door jam), eyeball the angle of the staircase, and lay out the furniture on a blueprint to help you make a decision about the fate of some furniture.
6. Be merciless about cutting down on clothes, kitchen gadgets, hobby equipment, and other things you don’t use. Reducing the volume of “stuff” will make your move easier and help you get settled in your new home. Consider the move a fresh start.
Request Your Complimentary Copy of My
“Preparing to Downsize” Report
7. As the items that won’t make the move pile up, use eBay, garage sales, Craigslist, ads, or signs at the grocery store to sell it. Alternatively, donate all or part of it to an organization or a needy familiar. You will feel satisfaction if you get time or money for your efforts.
8. If you have collectibles, jewelry, household goods, or other treasures you want to give to your kids or grandkids, distribute them as you downsize. You will reclaim the space and have the pleasure of seeing your prized possessions in use.
9. If you discover you still have more than you need move into your new home, don’t be afraid to continue the purge as you get settled to make sure your home stays uncluttered.
10. Though you might feel sad as you let go of your big house and stock of possessions, revel in the fact you are downsizing on your own terms.
Downsize And Be Free
Are you ready to downsize or open to thinking about it? As a specialist in Halifax real estate for Boomers and Seniors, I can show you right-sized properties you’ll love and help you sell your current home too.
Looking to sell your home? Give me a call today.
Roy Thomas SRES® (Senior’s Real Estate Specialist) is a REALTOR® with Sutton Group Professional Realty. Since 1991, Roy specializes in helping retirees with their later in life real estate transactions. Call Roy at 902-497-3031 or contact Roy here