Our homes are supposed to provide a place of rest and renewal away from the world and all its dangers and stresses. Unfortunately, hazards exist in our homes that can make us sick. It is especially important to your health to identify any problems in the home and fix them. If your symptoms appear to get better when you are away from your home, you may want to ask yourself, is my home making me sick?
Symptoms most reported by those affected from a sick home vary from person to person. One person may get a sore throat with exposure to mold, and another may get a headache, for example. It really depends on the severity of the issue in the house and each person’s reactions to exposure.
Common symptoms are respiratory issues, cognitive issues, agitation, or depression. Other physical symptoms include stomach issues, rashes, sore throats, muscle aches, and fatigue. Certain activities in the home, like vacuuming, can trigger or worsen symptoms.
1. Improve the air quality
Ensure to improve the air quality in your home by bringing in fresh air through open windows as much as possible. Use fans in bathrooms and kitchens to pull out the indoor air. Use only non-toxic cleaners and forbid smoking in the house.
Bedding and sheets must be washed often, as they may contain bacteria like E. coli or salmonella, which can cause infections and spread illness. Pillows and mattresses need to be cleaned as well. Our skin sheds and dust mites feed on that skin. Mites can cause severe allergic reactions for some people.
While wall-to-wall carpeting adds warmth and comfort to your decor, they are dirt magnets. Breathing issues can occur from allergies because of the dust, mites, and pet danger trapped in the carpet. Hardwood flooring with area rugs is a better solution with fewer irritants. Be sure to vacuum with a HEPA filter vacuum and have them cleaned regularly by a professional.
Mold can be found in high moisture areas of your home, like bathrooms, kitchens, and basements. Not all mold is visible and can be underneath carpeting or behind drywall. Mold has a musky scent and can cause itchy eyes and a runny nose. All molds irritate the respiratory system, but mold can cause huge health problems for those with a compromised immune system. Remove mold from every surface of your home.
Radon is a dangerous, colorless, and odorless gas. It can cause cancer to those exposed. It can enter a home through outdoor vents, cracks in walls, or flooring. Have your home professionally tested to determine if your home needs professional treatment for a radon leak in your home.
6. Air Conditioning and Heating systems
Air conditioners can be a source of mold and mildew spores, and need the filters and vents cleaned frequently. Furnaces, fireplaces, and space heaters also emit particles that can cause irritation to the respiratory systems. Be sure to change your furnace filters when required.
Find out what homes in your neighborhood are selling for. Free monthly report by email showing current listings, recent sales & market stats. Go to www.HalifaxHomebeat.com
Roy Thomas SRES® (Senior’s Real Estate Specialist) is a REALTOR® with Sutton Group Professional Realty. Since 1991, Roy specializes in helping retirees with their later in life real estate transactions. Call Roy at 902-497-3031 or contact Roy here